Sunday, March 8

Mercy, what a day! We survived the time change albeit we were a little sluggish in getting up this morning. Had to, though, as a neighbor was coming by at first light to plow our garden. We were also going to feed him a proper farm breakfast of country eggs, local bacon (his bacon actually!), homemade biscuits & sausage gravy so we were up before 6:30. He wanted a good cuppa coffee before he got started so we percolated our coffee and drank it then started another pot shortly before his arrival. After breakfast he went about plowing the garden…

He set the plow fairly deep so the earth was turned over really good…

CountryBoy wanted the garden a little bit bigger this year so the deep plowing of the grassy area was good.

We were able to get the kitchen cleaned up as well as ourselves in time for church. Just before we left for church I grabbed the camera to get some photos of the freshly plowed garden and noticed (unfortunately) that the power line to the barn had been cut. Apparently it got caught in the plow (unbeknownst to him) as he was leaving. It severed the line at the barn. CountryBoy turned the breaker off before church then spent the rest of the day repairing it. It’s always something!

Immediately after church I packed up some eggs (four dozen for the B&B and 3 dozen for a coworker) and some snacks and headed to work. Lots of guests checked out this morning and lots were checking in for a writer’s retreat. They’ll be checking out on Wednesday so I knew I needed to get everything washed, dried, ironed and folded into sheet sets so the rooms and cabins could be made over that day. Needless to say it was a long day. On the plus side – my new and improved ironing space is finished! It was so bright and roomy I wasn’t sure how to act at first, ha! It didn’t take me long, though, to get used to it and get in a groove.


Farm news: 25 eggs

We’ve sold quite a few dozen the last couple of days. Another neighbor came by this afternoon and bought some eggs. In fact, we sold 11 dozen just today and gave a dozen and a half of the small eggs from the new layers to a friend that stopped by on his way home from church. As you can tell, we had a LOT of eggs in the egg fridge!

Monday, March 9

After a fairly fitful night of sleep the morning still came all too soon. I went ahead and got up because it takes the coffee about 25 – 30 minutes to percolate. I also enjoy having some time to prepare for the day. I have to tell you, the longer we sipped our coffee by the fire the less I wanted to go in to work. I did go in, of course, but wow, what a long day.

The dawning of the day…

I wanted a big salad for supper so I stopped at Save-a-Lot for a cucumber to add to the salad. For some reason I’ve been craving a cucumber the last few days. Yesterday, I brought home some extra pizza dough from work so I also picked up some pizza sauce and pepperoni for tomorrow’s supper.


I read today in the Simplified Life book I checked out a few weeks ago about self care and some of the things one could do to aid in that and one was what the author called a brain dump. She said she enjoyed writing and journaling and that was how she ‘dumped’ everything in her mind. She also said that what she writes looks like a lot of rambling but that it’s what’s on her mind. She says by writing them down she’s able to get it off her mind and frees it for relaxation. Folks, these daily journals, or ramblings if you will, that result in a blog post is me dumping my brain on y’all! And I have to say that she’s right. Once I finish with that day’s entry I do indeed feel a release and a freedom so to speak. It’s crazy but it works.


Farm news: 26 eggs

Tuesday, March 10

Sleep was sketchy at best last night. I could not get comfortable and when I finally got comfortable enough to fall asleep it didn’t last long. I woke up with something hurting, or needing to go to the bathroom, or with a tickle that made me cough, or LizzieBelle needing to get up to get a drink and then I always make her go outside to tinkle before we go back to bed. It felt like the longest night in history. Thankfully, the coffee kicked in and I was able to function while at work.

I stopped at the library on my way home to return my library books and it was pouring down rain. I saw my coworker heading into the library under her umbrella and I practically threw the books at her to take in with her and turn in for me. Whew, dodged those rain drops! I came on home and started prepping for tonight’s supper of homemade pizza…

Pepperoni, onions, red & green peppers, black olives, garlic oil, mozzarella & parmesan cheese. It was SO good!

It wasn’t even 5 o’clock yet when we finished eating and I was ready for bed. I’ve gotten a second wind so I might be able to stay awake for a few more hours, teehee.


We took delivery today of a couple items for the cabin – a grill rack for the fire pit and an enamel percolater coffee pot like the one we use at the house. It’s getting to be that time of year for campfires and what better way to cook your food or heat some coffee!


Farm news: 27 eggs

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s