Frosty, cold days & finally a finished ‘weekend project’

Wednesday, January 22

It was 10 degrees when I left for work this morning…

It took a bit of time to get the ice off the windshield.

On the way in to work…

It was a short day at the B&B today. I updated the newsletter template for the new year, posted something on Instagram, and created a newsletter and emailed it to our subscribers. I put a load of sheets in the dryer and folded them when they came out. Since that’s all there was to iron I’ll do them when I go back Sunday afternoon.

Speaking of the B&B, I came home with the latest Jojo Moyes book ‘The Giver of Stars’. I had the privilege of meeting her when she stayed there the first time and then she came back again and wrote a good portion of the book while staying in one of the cabins. To say how cool it is to have met her AND to be part of the place where this book came to life is an understatement. I received this book at the perfect time as I had finished the one I was reading just last night. I can’t wait to read it! It’s a fictionalized novel based on a true story of the Packhorse Librarians of Kentucky.

I spent the rest of the day readying the cabin for guests this weekend and working on the secretary/cabinet we recently purchased for the cabin. CountryBoy made some tiny molding pieces out of scrap wood to hold the glass in place on the top cabinet doors and he nailed them on while I held the glass in place. Then I did a little bit of sanding to try and smooth out a bad paint job then I sanded more off the edges in various spots for that good ‘ol used and distressed look. I washed it all down and cleaned the glass which had paint splatters and tape residue on them. Overall, I’m pleased with how it turned out. I’ll snap some photos once we get it up to the cabin.

Farm news: NINE eggs! I took two dozen into work today and we still have three dozen in the farm stand fridge. Yay!


The rock truck showed up just as I got home and delivered a load of rock today…

He made it halfway up the part where we needed the rock dumped and then couldn’t make it the rest of the way. He dumped the rest of the load beside the road. A neighbor had already offered to spread it for us using his tractor if this happened. Whew. Gotta love a good neighbor! Hopefully we can get it spread before the predicted weekend rain comes.

Thursday, January 23

Work was, well, work. It wasn’t a bad day at the newspaper office – just another day working for someone else – doing a job that I don’t mind doing but I don’t love. I LONG for the day the cabin begins paying for itself and we are working for us – becoming more self-sufficient and less reliant on others for our livelihood.


CountryBoy just whipped up a delicious supper. We didn’t know what to have so we put our heads together and this is what we came up with… he sautéed some onions and mushrooms in butter, threw in some leftover rice; added some cooked scrambled eggs and seasoned it with salt, pepper, turmeric and liquid aminos (similar to tamari or soy sauce). We weren’t sure how it was going to turn out but we both had two helpings – delish!


It’s going to be a busy weekend – baking banana bread; finishing, placing and filling the cabin cabinet; putting the finishing touches in the cabin for this weekend’s guests; laundry; babysitting; groceries; journaling; cleaning house; and hopefully, finishing my weekend project I tried to start several weekends ago ;).


Farm news: two eggs (which we just ate!)

CountryBoy listed our sickle mower on Facebook Marketplace yesterday and he sold it today. He had a lot of interest probably because he sold it so cheap but he listed it for what we paid for it. We had bought it from a neighbor and it ended up not being suitable for our needs and was just taking up space in the equipment barn. The snow plow that came with the side-by-side now resides in the vacated spot.

Friday, January 24

I slept in. I crawled out of bed this morning around 7:30. On my days off I typically get up early because I want a long day of endless possibilities.

I managed to get a load of clothes washed and dried before we finished our coffee so I felt as though I had salvaged some time.

Then we moved onto the day’s to-do list. CountryBoy tried his hand at baking the banana bread. We’ve discovered that the bottom burner in our oven is not working. That’s what messed up the last batch of banana bread. He managed to get two nice loaves and that’s all we needed. (We promptly ate the third one!)

While he was working on that I painted my ‘weekend project’. Since the weather has been rainy and uncooperative during my days off CountryBoy started my project for me. He sanded an old piece of barn wood I had picked out, cut it to size and screwed two pieces together. He also helped drilling pilot holes. After a quick trip to town we put all the pieces together…

My little ‘weekend project’ was a wall-mounted jewelry organizer. I like being able to see all my jewelry pieces at a glance and I like how they hang nice and neat and no longer jumbled up on my dresser.

While in town we deposited my paycheck and stopped for a pizza. The clouds were rolling in again…

Anyway, after we got home we finished up the jewelry organizer and I hung it on the wall in our bedroom…

We had guests checking in during the evening. While we were in town we couldn’t help thinking and hoping they wouldn’t be waiting on us when we got home. They had requested a really late check in due to the distance they were traveling from and we accommodated but we were still thinking they might show up early. They did indeed arrive much earlier than anticipated, before bedtime even (we were home, thank goodness!) and we were grateful.

Before we headed to town we took the secretary/cabinet up to the cabin. It was not raining when we loaded it onto the side-by-side but by the time we got up to the cabin it was sprinkling again. We managed to get it inside without too much ado, dried it off and then arranged everything. We also took up some snacks, water and the banana bread. The cabinet is the perfect size and will work great. I still have to get some photos of it. I also have to update the Cabin Guidebook with the new cabinet.


Farm news: 7 eggs

The rock did not get spread before the guests’ arrival so they took the side-by-side up. They loved it!

Saturday, January 25

Up and at ’em early. We had to go to my nieces today to babysit for a few hours first thing this morning. We offered to go to their house since we were in need of getting groceries and they live near the grocery store we go to when it’s time to stock up for the month.

We came home and found out that the guests wanted to add another night’s stay to their already two night stay. Gotta love that kind of request. yay!!!


I’ve gotten a good start on pulling out all the wrong crochet edges on my hexagons. I picked up another skein of yarn today and am starting to put the right edges on. It’s going to be a process. I’m already itching to start a knitting project but another part of me does not want to start something else until the afghan is done. I just don’t know if I want to wait that long. It’s a dilemma for sure!

And just like that my weekend is over.


Farm news: six eggs

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s